Language: English & Vietnamese
A special evening with creative works inspired by romantic and surreal memories of a poetic Saigon. Colourful and harmonious moments of city life are crystalized and expressed through new compositions in Lang soi by poet Hanh Ngo and Six poems for solo piano by composer Le-Tuyen Nguyen. Remnants of the past together with dreams and desire for the future embedded in the messages of musical melodies and poetic words, unfolded at very familiar places such as the street corner, the tree lines, the streams of people, the intersections, the alleys, or the eyes and smiles of a stranger. Soirée Saigon, an evening of poetry and music, with poetry reading by the author Hanh Ngo and performances by pianists from HCMC Conservatory of Music.
Khuc hat gio ket xe (Chanting through traffic jam)
Poet Hanh Ngo
Doi khi Sai Gon em di lac (Sometimes Saigon got me lost)
Angel Artist Doan Tran Thuy Tien
Poem for Saigon
• Em thuoc Sai Gon nhu em thuoc anh (I know Saigon by heart, and by heart I know you) Poet Hanh Ngo
• Nguoi chan nhung tan phai (Stop the fading you do)
Em chai toc (You combing your hair) Poet Hanh Ngo
Co man nao sua va nuoc mat (Milk and tears, how much is enough)
Étude Romantique Nghệ sĩ Dương Hồng Phúc
Forever Nghệ sĩ Đoàn Trần Thuỷ Tiên
P𝒐𝒆𝒕 𝑯𝒂𝒏𝒉 𝑵𝒈𝒐
Full name: Ngo Thi Hanh, born in 1980, Fellow of Hoi Nha van TP. Ho Chi Minh (HCMC Author association); Member of the Executive Committee of HCMC Cinema Association & Vietnam Cinema Association. Having been the screenwriter for more than 10 television movies that have been produced and aired on television channels such us HTV, VTV, SCTV, TodayTV. Screenwriter for the cinematographic movie “Obsession” & “Red gloves”. Having published:
• Poetry book: Echo (2004), Upsidefall (2008), Sun light from your toes (2010), Love poems with Saigon (2014), and Quiet reflection (2019)
• Literature: Broken marble (2004), Lady cats wearing Phoenix flowers (2008), Chanting through traffic jam (2012), Then just say we are strangers (2014)
𝑳𝒆𝒄𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒓 – 𝑨𝒓𝒕𝒊𝒔𝒕 𝑻𝒓𝒂𝒏 𝑻𝒉𝒖 𝑳𝒆
• Born in Hanoi, 1981, started playing the piano at 6, accepted to Hanoi Music Academy in 1989. In 1994: continued education in HCMC Music Academy with Meritorious Artist Nguyen Son Hai and Meritorious Artist Tran Thanh Thao.
• In 1996: won consolation prize in “Young talent” piano contest in HCMC.
• In 2000: graduate with honor in HCMC Music Academy 11-year program, and received the “Valedictorian into University” prize of the 125th edition of the show “For the growth of tomorrow” by Tuoi Tre Newspaper.
• In 2002: attend higher education on piano at Tchaikovsky Music Academy of the Soviet Union, under the instructions of Sir Sergei Terekhov and professor Zinaida Ignatieva. Throughout which time had attended recitals and symphonies at the concert hall of Moscow Institute and other places. June 2008: graduation with honor in piano performing at Tchaikovsky Music Institute. Currently lecturing and performing at the Piano department at HCMC Music Academy.
𝑫𝒓 𝑳𝒆-𝑻𝒖𝒚𝒆𝒏 𝑵𝒈𝒖𝒚𝒆𝒏
Australian composer with Vietnamese background; Teaching Fellow at the Australian National University School of Music; and a council member of the Creative Arts Council of New South Wales Department of Education Australia.
Artist Duong Hong Phuc
Born in 2007, started learning the Piano at 7 with Nguyen Anh Thu (Master of Music ). At 9, accepted to the Long-term Intermediate program at the Piano department of the HCMC Music Academy, then instructed by Tran Thu Le (Master of Music). Duong Hong Phuc has co-performed in symphonies such as: Potential 2017, the Opening night of HCMC Piano contest 2019, scholarship recipient of Toyota Support program for Vietnam’s young Talents in Music 2018. The awards she won include:
• In 2015, second prize in (Category A) in the Piano Amateur Contest
• In 2016, first prize (Category B) in Amateur Contest
• In 2017, second prize in (Category A) in HCMC Piano Competition
• In 2018, first prize in Bang A HCMC Piano Competition, third place in Steinway Youth Piano Competition, and Star of Hope prize by The Vietnam Musician Association at The 4th international Piano competition in Hanoi.
Artist Doan Tran Thuy Tien
Born in 2002, now 8th year student at the 9-year program at HCMC Music Academy under the instructions of Tran Thu Le (Master of Music). Awards received:
• Performer at Artistic Gala Autumn Melody – Young Talent Music night at HCMC Municipal Theatre 2019
• Third place in International Piano Contest in HCMC 2018
• Consolation prize in International Piano Contest in 2015 at Hanoi
• Toyota Scholarship in 2015, 2016 – 2017
Piano Poems: Six compositions for solo piano
Composer: Le-Tuyen Nguyen
Piano Poems are romantic preludes influenced by musical idioms of tonal neoclassicism, impressionist, minimalist, and contemporary music. Drawing inspiration from real life stories in Sydney and Saigon, each composition crystallises the moments, emotions, images, time and space into a miniature musical journey. The world – premiere of ‘Piano Poems’ was performed by Professor Diana Blom at the Playhouse Theatre, Western Sydney University Australia on 27 November 2019.
Published by: Earth Music Press Sydney Australia 2019 ISMN 9790902257305
1. Angel 2. Poem for Saigon
3. My first love
5. Étude Romantique